Social icons


This post is long overdue but as the saying goes: "better late than never." My trip to Madrid took place in March of 2019. Things were much different than what they are now. I thought about sharing something that might helps us disconnect a little from all this chaos. For my own mental health, I've been trying to keep my thoughts more on the positive side (which is very hard given the circumstances). One thing that really helps me is writing, reminiscing on old trips, and dreaming about new ones. Since the future is a little hazy I thought I would share with you one of my favorite cities. Perhaps when things clear up it might be added to your future destinations list. In the meantime, always remember to stay safe. 

I was in Portugal visiting my family when this impromptu trip to Madrid was brought up. We ended up driving to Spain instead of flying. After five hours of gossiping, singing, and napping we arrived eager to take on a new city. And what a city it was. 

Madrid is a lively city. In most streets sits a cute little coffee shop or a beautiful restaurant. There are so many places to eat (which I admire considering I'm always ready to sit down and eat). Putting the picturesque cafés aside, what truly mesmerized me was the culture of its people. Everyday I saw families, couples, friends all getting together to go out to eat. Restaurants were completely booked. Elderly women were dripped in beautiful long coats as they waited in line with their friends at ten o'clock at night on a weekday to go watch a play. The cinema had the red carpet rolled out for a new movie premiere. Gran Via, Madrid's busiest street, was always buzzing with energy as people took to its stores. It was a city that even if you were alone you didn't feel as though you were. This city made me realize that that was the kind of life I desired to have. One that is not bound by age or weekdays versus weekends or if you were simply flying solo. I'm itching to go back but this time to put the sightseeing side of myself aside and to simply just live in the moment.

Below are a few pictures of some must-see spots from my trip. 

Dear Hotel Madrid
This is where we stayed. The location was absolutely perfect. We were within walking distance of almost everything. It's right in the center and next to many restaurants. The hotel in itself was gorgeous and had a rooftop bar and pool. Sadly, it was a little cold when we visited but this was a great place to watch sunsets.

  
Plaza Mayor


Those who know me know I cannot resist a bookshop. I need to step inside every bookshop I pass by and this storefront was too cute to pass up. There was a very cute saying found everywhere in this bookshop: "Besa y lee. Disfruta de tu lengua." I snapped this picture and you can find it in one of Suitcase's magazines.   


Street corners in Madrid are so charming. These buildings always caught my eye. 

We made sure to visit all the key points of Madrid and so we split up the city into different sections, one for each day. We also made sure to look up a cute place nearby for breakfast, lunch, or a quick coffee stop. 

Atocha
This train station, yes you read correctly train station, literally took my breath away. This picture doesn't do this place justice. It's absolutely mesmerizing. 

 Palacio de Cristal
Unfortunately we weren't able to go inside because they were setting up for an exhibit. 

El Retiro Park
A lovely place for a picnic with a gorgeous view of the Palacio de Cristal.  

El Retiro Park
 
El Retiro Park

Habanera

Cibeles

Circulo de Bellas Artes
This incredible view is taken from a rooftop bar. You need to pay a fee in order to go up but it's definitely worth it just for this view. 

Faraday


Hermanas Arce

Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza
I love to visit museums but we were only able to visit one during our trip. Make sure to check if the museum is open before you head over. In Europe it's very common for things to close during the weekdays. 
 
Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza

El Perro y La Galleta
We didn't get the opportunity to eat here but this was too pretty to resist snapping a few pictures. One of the prettiest restaurants I've ever seen. 
 
El Perro y La Galleta

El Perro y La Galleta

 
Restaurante Botin
This restaurant is in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's oldest restaurant. The first time it opened was in 1725. 



Religion Specialty Coffee 


Religion Specialty Coffee

 Palacio Real de Madrid
 
Vacaciones Cocktail Bar

La Pecera


Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.